Wednesday 19 January 2011

Ravenstone and a Big Bus Adventure

Hello!  It’s me, Wilfred!  In London I am living on a street called Elvaston Place with my dad and my poppy.  We will be living in South Kensington until the summer.
(This is my poppy outside our flat)

My school is called Ravenstone Preparatory.  In some ways it is very different than my old school in Toronto.  For one thing, at Jackman we have a principal and here we have a Head Mistress, Mrs. Heath. Every day, when we get to school, there is someone there holding the door open – helping all the children in.  Mrs. Heath puts a vase of fresh flowers on the landing and every morning she watches us go up the stairs to make sure that we do it properly.  There are lots of stairs at Ravenstone since it is tall and skinny and goes five stories up.
(This is Ravenstone)

I am learning lots of new things.  At Ravenstone, we have no playground or gym, so the whole school takes a bus (what the English call a coach) to Battersea Park on the other side of the Thames.  There we learn field hockey.  On Tuesdays, the school takes a coach to a pool, where we learn swimming and everybody, boys and girls, MUST WEAR SWIMMING CAPS. On Wednesdays, we go to the studio on the second floor to play Teddy Tennis.
We have music class where we play the recorder and I have already learned one song!  We also sing.  We have religious studies on Tuesday to learn about different religions in the world.  We are learning about Columbus and we are studying maths.  In maths, we are counting by twos, fives and tens, starting with odd and even numbers backwards and forwards from 100.  It is trickier than I first thought…
I am making more friends.  Vladic is from Russia.  He says his dad used to work at the Kremlin, but he works in London, now.  Another friend is Bella, who is English, and a girl, but she is very nice and likes boys.  She is a good friend to me and reminds me to behave and remember when not to talk. 
On the weekend, Poppy promised that we would take a double decker bus to Trafalgar Square.    We decided we would take the Big Bus Tour so that we would get to know London better.    
When Saturday came, it was the coldest day so far.  Dad said we were crazy, but Poppy kept his promise and I rode up on top of the bus outside through all of London.  There was someone talking explaining things, but I just liked looking around and enjoying the ride.  
For a while, I sat on Dad’s knee so I would be higher and see more, until Dad said he was FREEZING and went under the roof and sat by the heater... But Poppy stayed with me out in the London air the whole way!

We saw palaces and train stations.  We went past the Millennium wheel and over Tower Bridge and past the Tower of London where they keep the Queen’s jewels.  
 

We even went on a boat that went down the Thames from the Tower of London to the Houses of Parliament.  And guess what is there -- a war ship called the HMS Belfast!  
(Me and Poppy on the boat beside HMS Belfast)

But my favourite part was when we got off the bus at Trafalgar Square.  There are fountains and a big monument to an admiral who won a war for England and at the bottom huge LIONS! 
(Me and Dad)

(Me and fountains)

I have a book about London that says there are crowds and crowds of pigeons… but there aren’t so many anymore.  Dad said they are trying to get rid of them.  I think they just went to Hyde Park to live with the swans.
Next week, Poppy promises we will take a trip BY TRAIN!  Can you even believe it?  I will write more then.   Bye for now.  Wilfie

No comments:

Post a Comment