Sunday 9 January 2011

Wilfred In The UK

Hello!  My name is Wilfred and I am six and three quarters.  I usually live in Toronto Ontario Canada, but for the next six months I will be living in London, England!

My poppy and daddy and I flew all night on an Air Canada jet.  We left Toronto at 8 o'clock at night and arrived at Heathrow Airport early the next morning, British time.  Everyone was tired, but not me!  I was too excited.  We got into an English taxi, which was very roomy -- big enough for the three of us and all our luggage, which Daddy had to load in because the taxi driver said he had "emphaZEEmia".  When we were all in, the driver took off and we drove through the English country, which looked very green, even in winter.  It was very exciting, driving through the traffic on the wrong side of the road.

We arrived at our flat in South Kensington.   We are going to live on Elvaston Place, across the street from my new school -- Ravenstone Preparatory.  Every building looks the same on our street.  They are all connected, white brick, 5 stories high with iron fences out front.  Some of them have flags, because they are not houses anymore -- now they are embassies.

People had put their Christmas trees out on the sidewalk to be collected.  They are a different kind than we have at home -- kind of spindley on top -- and they had wooden bases nailed on.   We hauled all our suitcases up three flights of stairs and then had a long nap!

The next day, Poppy and I waited and waited for the delivery van to bring the uniform that I will wear to school.  Dad and I got tired of waiting, so he and I went across the street to visit Ravenstone.  We met the headmistress, Mrs. Heath, who is very nice and wears a pearl necklace.  She showed Daddy and me the whole school, which is in a building identical to our flat with a tall narrow staircase that goes up five floors.  There is a big room on the second floor, where we will have gym and put on concerts, and there is a dining room and kitchen in the basement. 

In Canada, I was in grade one at Jackman Public School in Toronto.  In England, they call grade one Second Form.  They have lots of different names for things.  A truck is a lorry, an elevator is a lift and you don't ask to go to the bathroom -- you ask to go to the lavatory!

My classroom is on the fourth floor.  I met my teacher -- Miss Moylan -- who is blond and very nice and GOING TO HAVE A BABY!  Dad says that someone else will be teaching my class after spring break.

After we saw my school, Dad took me to the Gloucester Road Tube station.  After we figured out how to use the ticket machine, Dad bought us a return fare.  We rode for about four or five stops and then Dad wanted to get off.  I wanted to go to the end of the line, but Dad said that was too far.  Besides, he had something to show me.  We walked up some stairs and came out on the street.  I looked across the road and THERE IT WAS!  Right there!  BIG BEN!  Can you even believe it?

I will write again soon and tell you about my first day at Ravenstone.  Bye for now.  Wilfie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Wilf,
    I was skating outside at Withrow Park yesterday and Annika was there, too and she and I were wondering if Tom will want to hug you on the first day of grade 2 because you will smell like England!
    Great to hear your news. Mommy says to tell Poppy and Daddy that she misses them in the schoolyard.
    Love from
    Ruby Ullrich (Ms Csamer wants us to write our first and last name on all our work now. Next term she says we'll be writing our first, last, and MIDDLE names, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wilfred,
    Wow! It sounds like you are having a lot of fun in London! We all miss you back at Jackman, but we are super excited to hear all your news from England, and we will make staying in touch with you a regular part of our week (tell your dads that I will bookmark your blog on our classroom computer). We can't wait to hear about your first day at Ravenstone, and we want to hear all about what school is like in England! Say "hi" to your dads from me!
    Love, Ms. Csamer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Wilf I hope you are having fun in London! We all wish you were back in room 205. I also hope you are making new friends in London. Are you? From Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wilfred and Daddy and Poppy!

    Wow!! Wilfred, you have done so many interesting and exciting things that we can barely contain them in our heads! We think about you all the time and miss you in the classroom. We miss Daddy and Poppy in the schoolyard too. It has taken us a long time to post a reply here because we've been having a bit of an adventure as well, but we'll send you a email with some pictures that will explain everything as soon as we can. All is well, its just a little ...wacky! Did you know there are penguins living somewhere in London. Isn't that odd? Robin had to visit them and study their enclosure when she was in architecture school. Imagine having to do a school project on a home for penguins? Maybe you will find them one day as you travel about. Robin has been thinking about you every time she uses the stairs at Jackman because she is NOT holding the railing. That doesn't sound very safe does it? But, you will see what she's up to soon. We are enjoying your blog! Take care! Love, Robin and Harriet

    ReplyDelete