Wednesday 12 January 2011

Ravenstone

Hello!  Remember me?  WILFRED!  I am six and three-quarters and for the next six months I will be living with my two dads in London, England.

 I used to be in grade one at Jackman Public School in Toronto, Canada (Hello Ms Csamer!  Hello Ian!  Hello Ruby!  Hello Harriet!  I miss all you guys!), but now I am in 2nd Form across the street from our flat at Ravenstone Preparatory.  

The day after we got to London, we waited for a delivery truck to bring my new school uniform.  It finally arrived in a big box.  At Ravenstone everyone wears exactly the same thing - the same grey shirt (for boys) and pants (what the Engish call trousers - "pants" are underwear!) and the same red sweater (what the English call a "jumper'), we even wear the same grey coat, gloves and scarf (what the English call a "scoff").  We even have the same red backpacks and swimming hats (I'll tell you more about that another day).
The girls wear something completely different -- dresses and long grey coats and big round hats just like the little girls in the books about Madeline.

Dad and Poppy walked with me under our big umbrella across the street and up the stairs to my class.  The stairs are steep and Mrs. Heath, the headmistress, told me the rule - "Children must hold the bannister with one hand and NO talking on the stairs."  Sometimes it is hard for me to remember the no talking part.

Kids go to Ravenstone from nursery school to Form 5 (grade 6).  It is in a tall narrow building -- just like our flat -- in a row with others attached on both sides.  We have a bright studio on the second floor with big windows (where we play teddy tennis and some kids do after school karate or ballet).  There is a computer lab and a library (much smaller than Jackman) and down in the basement a kitchen and dining room.

My class is smaller than at Jackman, too.  My teacher, Miss Moylan (who is going to have A BABY) only has 12 students to teach.  Before class starts we have play time.  I have already made two new friends, Thomas and Riley.  Then we have registration and class work starts.  Everyone talked about their Christmas vacations.  One of the children was on a safari and saw wild animals in AFRICA!  I told them that coming to England was my vacation.

Miss Moylan is very nice.  I think the reading is about the same in England, but the math is easier, so far.  We will take French (some of my classmates are from France) and in 3rd form they learn Mandarin (which is a kind of Chinese).  I told Miss Moylan that in Canada we don't have to do our school work if we don't want, but after school, Daddy and Poppy told her I was mistaken...

Ravenstone does not have a playground.  On rainy days (most days), we can play in the studio, but when it is nice we will have outdoor play at the park.

At lunch time, I went down to the dining room all by myself.  There were no names on the chairs or the tables and I didn't know where to sit.  I saw a little girl from my class, so I decided I would sit with her.  I watched the other children and did what they did.  I went to the counter and they gave me my lunch... pork and chips (which is what the English call French Fries) and beans.  I ate the chips.  And for dessert -- ICE CREAM and JELLY (which is what the English call Jello) -- and I ate that, too.

After school, Daddy and Poppy were very proud of me.  The headmistress had sent them an email during the day so they would know I was fitting in nicely.  To celebrate, we went for tea, then walked up to a big park just a couple of blocks from our house, called Kensington Gardens.  There is a palace there, where Queen Victoria lived when she was a girl and a big pond with swans and ducks!  The swans liked me and followed me around.  Dad said they thought I had bread crumbs in my pocket. 


                               (This is Dad and Poppy.  I took this picture!)
It was so much fun that we went again on Saturday (what the English call the weekEND).  There is a great playground there where you can climb on a pirate ship.  I went right to the top of the crow's nest! 


There is another park next to Kensington Gardens called Hyde park.  Another time, we walked the whole length of both parks, past a long skinny lake called the Serpentine, and guess where we came out?  At BUCKINGHAM PALACE where the QUEEN lives!  Can you even believe it?



I will write again soon and tell you more about Ravenstone and London.  Bye for now.  Wilfie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wilfred,
    I'm glad you like London. Is it still fun there? I love you.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete